Thursday, May 23, 2013

Awesome Earl Grey Tea Cake

Hihihihi, any readers out there? I'm truly apologetic for not updating this blog for so many months. Previously I was really busy with school work hence I had no time to bake. Therefore, I was on hiatus for several months. However, the long awaited summer holidays have started, and it's time to start baking again! To be honest, I had already baked several times before this post, however all of them were failures (and thus I couldn't post anything up here!) But good news, today I baked something and it turned out so wonderful that I must share it with more people.


My family say that this is the best cake that I have ever baked. Personally I do love it as well! The subtle earl grey tea fragrant that lingers in your mouth after you eat it, and the zesty lemon that complements the tea flavour. Not forgetting the dessicated coconut that adds more texture to the cake. Thumbs up for myself! I'm definitely going to bake this again!


Original recipe from anncoo journal
150g Plain flour
1/8tsp Baking powder
150g Butter, softened
130g Confectioner sugar (icing sugar)
1/2 tbsp Glucose/golden syrup or honey
3 Eggs (70g each)
1/8 tsp Salt
5g Earl grey tea dust from 2 tea bags
20g dessicated coconut
1 tbsp Fresh whole milk
Lemon zest from 1 large lemon

1. Preheat oven to 170C. Line a 19 x 9 x 8cm loaf tin with parchment paper all sides up.
2. Sift flour and baking together twice, set aside.
3. Beat butter, icing sugar and glucose together until light and very fluffy. Gradually add eggs and beat well, then add salt, tea dust, dessicated coconut, lemon zest and milk. Mix well.
4. Add flour mixture and fold through completely using a spatula. Surface of batter should be glossy and smooth.
5. Pour batter into prepared loaf tin and for 50 minutes or skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Note that the baking time may vary according to your oven.
6. When the cake is done, unmould cake and peel away parchment paper.
7. Leave to cool completely before serving. If storing, wrap with cling wrap.

I used a square tin that makes a thinner cake, thus my baking time is about 35 min only. Original recipe uses grounded almond instead of dessicated coconut and after cake is baked lemon syrup is brushed onto it. However the health conscious me has decided to do away with the lemon syrup. If you are interested do visit anncoo journal for detailed instructions!


I'm not kidding when i say that this cake is really gorgeous.

Look at the inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment